TOWN OF WILSON CREEK
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING
January 14, 2021 – remote/online meeting via Google Meet
Council Present: Mayor Kevin Newland, Councilmember Scott Mortimer, Councilmember Raymond Kelby, and Councilmember Karl Hinze. Staff Present: Kaci Anderson.
A. Open Meeting: Mayor Kevin Newland called the meeting to order at 6:08 pm.
B. Approval of Minutes: Motion made by S. Mortimer, seconded by K. Hinze, and carried to approve the minutes for the regular meeting on December 10, 2020.
C. Public Comments: None.
D. Council Concerns and Issues: Discussed later in meeting, just prior to adjournment.
- S. Mortimer inquired about the necessity of issuing W-2s to councilmembers due to annual pay being less than $600. K. Anderson will research and notify council of findings via email.
- S. Mortimer reported the Town has been offered a restroom trailer for free, the only fee involved would be the cost to haul. After discussion, Council and Mayor Newland agreed to decline the offer.
- S. Mortimer expressed his interest in looking at surplus gravel rakes from the county.
- The history and use of the RV dump was discussed. Mayor Newland and the Council would like it operational again. Mayor Newland will continue looking into options to open it, such as with a card reader to unlock gate, as well as potentially having the tank inspected, etc., prior to use.
- There is still concern regarding tire tracks at the ball field.
- The gate/fence at the train caboose has issues and needs repaired.
- S. Mortimer reported a 1-ton Chevrolet truck currently available via online auction, in Ephrata. After discussion regarding its potential use and benefits to the Town, Council unanimously agreed to set a bid cap of $4,500.00. S. Mortimer will bid and, in the event of winning the bid, pay for truck, for the Town to reimburse him. The auction closes 1/19/2021.
- Council discussed issues with the golf cart and the desire to repair it for Town use.
i. Mayor Newland contacted the Army Corps regarding the levee and more information on rehabilitation. The Corps plans to visit this spring to look at the levee with the mayor. He invited any interested councilmembers to attend as well.
ii. No updates have been received from the lawyer regarding the previously tabled Ordinance 436 regarding wireless transmission facilities.
iii. Mayor Newland shared screenshots from the videos supplied by Liquid Engineering after their cleaning and inspection of the town’s water tanks. He noted there is some blistering but none are breaking. There are issues with rust on the ladder of tank 1 and the flanges on
both tanks. Overall the results were good and the tanks are in decent condition.
iv. Mayor Newland thanked S. Mortimer and Mr. Todd Bohnet for their time and work getting the plow truck fixed last month.
- Maintenance/Public Works Report: Mayor Newland reported a new water manager has been hired. Jesse Loveland started this month, working with Chris Stout to learn the job. There are issues
with the generator. S. Mortimer offered to attempt repairs.
i. Bills, Checks & Electronic Withdrawal: K. Anderson reported end-of-year numbers: total expenditures for 2020 totaled $157,707.64, total revenue for 2020 totaled $188,566.52, which means the Town spent 83.6% of revenue for the fiscal year. Motion made by K. Hinze,
seconded by S. Mortimer, and carried to approve the Town’s current fiscal status as of December 31, 2020, and to pay the January 2021 bills as follows, including the void of check numbers 10587 ($0.00) and 10600 ($22.94):
Claims #10588 – 10597 $ 9,546.99
Payroll #10598-10606 $ 1,462.36
EFT payments $ 15,440.47
Total $ 26,449.82
Bank Account Balances
US Bank $ 195,009.03
Grant County $ 112,083.47
Total $ 307,092.50
- Ordinance 435: Solid Waste Management Amendment (final read & approval): Motion made by K. Hinze, seconded by S. Mortimer, and carried to approve Ordinance 435, amending the Town’s solid waste rates, effective March 1, 2021.
- Adjournment: Motion made by S. Mortimer, seconded by K. Hinze, and carried to adjourn the meeting at 7:49 pm. The next regular council meeting is Thursday, February 11, 2021, at 6:00 pm.